Weekly Developer Roundup
August 16, 2020
Here is your update from across the web for the week of 2020-08-16.
Trending This Week On Github
- aristocratos/bpytop (Python): Linux/OSX/FreeBSD resource monitor
- PrefectHQ/prefect (Python): The easiest way to automate your data
- aristocratos/bashtop (Shell): Linux/OSX/FreeBSD resource monitor
- guoday/Tencent2020_Rank1st (Python): The code for 2020 Tencent College Algorithm Contest, and the online result ranks 1st.
- EbookFoundation/free-programming-books : 📚 Freely available programming books
- simdjson/simdjson (C++): Parsing gigabytes of JSON per second
- openservicemesh/osm (Go): Open Service Mesh (OSM) is a lightweight, extensible, cloud native service mesh that allows users to uniformly manage, secure, and get out-of-the-box observability features for highly dynamic microservice environments.
- AliaksandrSiarohin/first-order-model (Jupyter Notebook): This repository contains the source code for the paper First Order Motion Model for Image Animation
- servo/servo (Rust): The Servo Browser Engine
- aboelkassem/educative.io_courses : this is downloadings of all educative.io free student subscription courses as pdf from GitHub student pack
- sherlock-project/sherlock (Python): 🔎 Hunt down social media accounts by username across social networks
- taosdata/TDengine (C): An open-source big data platform designed and optimized for the Internet of Things (IoT).
- storybookjs/storybook (TypeScript): 📓 The UI component explorer. Develop, document, & test for React, Vue, Angular, Ember, Web Components, & more!
- papercups-io/papercups (Elixir): Open-source live customer chat
- ultralytics/yolov5 (Python): YOLOv5 in PyTorch > ONNX > CoreML > iOS
- rancher/rancher (Go): Complete container management platform
- ouyanghuiyu/chineseocr_lite (Python): 超轻量级中文ocr，支持竖排文字识别, 支持ncnn推理 , dbnet(1.7M) + crnn(6.3M) + anglenet(1.5M) 总模型仅10M
- smartcontractkit/chainlink (Go): node of the decentralized oracle network, bridging on and off-chain computation
- mplushnikov/lombok-intellij-plugin (Java): Lombok Plugin for IntelliJ IDEA
- Azure/azure-quickstart-templates (PowerShell): Azure Quickstart Templates
- Sycnex/Windows10Debloater (PowerShell): Script to remove Windows 10 bloatware.
- dianping/cat (Java): CAT 作为服务端项目基础组件，提供了 Java, C/C++, Node.js, Python, Go 等多语言客户端，已经在美团点评的基础架构中间件框架（MVC框架，RPC框架，数据库框架，缓存框架等，消息队列，配置系统等）深度集成，为美团点评各业务线提供系统丰富的性能指标、健康状况、实时告警等。
Trending This Week On Dev.To
- Jess Lee (she/her): Announcing the GitHub Actions Hackathon on DEV!
- Jatin Rao: Resources for Frontend Developers
- Ganesh Agrawal: How to setup HTTPS locally with create-react-app
- Satyam Pandey: 7 useful websites
every front-end developer
should know about
- Kyle Prinsloo 🚀: Here are 10 Freelancing Websites to Find Clients 🔥
- Liviu Lupei: 5 Projects You Can Build To Become a Better Web Developer
- Stephanie Morillo: A Brief Introduction to Technical Writing
- Son Goku: React infinite scroll in few lines
- Ilemona Achimugu: How to easily turn your website to a Progressive Web App(PWA)
- Jane Tracy 👩🏽💻: Big O Notation for beginners!!
- Ben Halpern: #showdevAnnouncing forem.dev
- Desiré 👩🎓👩🏫: #watercoolerSome basic writing tips for your articles💅
- Hannah Gooding: VS Code shortcuts and tricks that I wish I knew sooner
- Cyd: 4 things in web development I’ve learned in 2020, so far
- Max Lynch: Saying Goodbye to PhoneGap
- 🆖 Karan Oza: 6 Skills to Become a Front-End Developer
- Ilona Dee Codes: My Top-10 Finance And Investment Books For Developers
- Jake Z.: How to Prepare for a Technical Interview
- Marina Costa: Illustrated JS: Promises
- Tom Holloway 🛰️: How to build a product without much design background
- Jack Domleo: #watercoolerWhy the term ‘T-shaped’ is better than the term ‘full-stack’.
- Manaswini: Things I’d do differently if I had to start with programming all over again!
- Chris Blakely: Fast track your React learning with these 12 Tips!
- Aashir Aamir Khan: How I created my resume/logo/portfolio in the last 3 hours
- Andrew Mason: 8 Tailwind CSS resources to help your next project takeoff
- Veliswa_Boya 🇿🇦: 3x AWS Certified: My certification journey
- Tyler Hawkins: How Dev Bootcamps Are Failing Their Students
- Christina Gorton: All the Clouds in AWS
- Alvaro Montoro: #showdev100 Days of CSS Illustrations (1-10)
- JoelBonetR: All you need to know about CI/CD as Web Developer
- skaytech: A Practical Guide to help you stay more Organised & Productive
- Nirbhay Vashisht: #discussBurnout as a Developer: Experience, Symptoms, Prevention and Cure
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- Amazon Liable for Defective Third-Party Products Rules CA Appellate Court: https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/amazon-liable-for-defective-third-party-products-rules-ca-appelate-court/
- Arm co-founder: Sale to Nvidia would be a disaster: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53637463
- Mutt email client 25 years old: http://mutt.org
- Star is moving so fast it visibly warps spacetime: https://futurism.com/the-byte/star-moving-fast-warps-spacetime
- To the future occupants of my office at the MIT Media Lab: http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2020/08/15/to-the-future-occupants-of-my-office-at-the-mit-media-lab/
- Kosmonaut: web browser from scratch in Rust: https://github.com/twilco/kosmonaut
- Using machine learning to recreate photorealistic portraits of Roman Emperors: https://voshart.com/ROMAN-EMPEROR-PROJECT
- The best way to exercise self-control is not to exercise it at all: https://psyche.co/ideas/the-best-way-to-exercise-self-control-is-not-to-exercise-it-at-all
- Trump says he is considering pardon for leaker Edward Snowden: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-snowden/trump-says-hes-considering-pardon-for-leaker-edward-snowden-idUSKCN25B10Z
- NTFS read-write GPL kernel driver: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/
- Paul Rand’s NeXT Logo (2010): https://www.logodesignlove.com/next-logo-paul-rand
- Opus Audio Codec – FAQ: https://wiki.xiph.org/index.php?title=OpusFAQ
- Mosaic HIV Vaccines in Late-Stage Trials: https://www.verywellhealth.com/mosaic-hiv-vaccine-sparks-hope-4173079
- MiniFB: Small cross platform library to create framebuffer to draw pixels in: https://github.com/emoon/minifb#minifb
- Scribd acquires SlideShare from LinkedIn: https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/11/scribd-acquires-slideshare/
- People slept on grass beds 200k years ago: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/people-slept-on-comfy-grass-beds-200000-years-ago/
- The brilliance of All Gas No Brakes: https://bigtechnology.substack.com/p/the-brilliance-of-all-gas-no-brakes
- Russell Kirsch, inventor of the pixel, has died: https://petapixel.com/2020/08/13/russell-kirsch-inventor-of-the-pixel-passed-away-this-week/
- The Illustrated TLS Connection: https://tls.ulfheim.net/
- The BEAM Has Spoiled Me: https://gvaughn.github.io/2020/08/08/beam_spoiled_me.html
- Mystery of superior Leeuwenhoek microscope solved after 350 years (2018): https://phys.org/news/2018-03-mystery-superior-leeuwenhoek-microscope-years.html
- Saliva-based Covid-19 test approved by FDA: https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization
- How the 8086 processor handles power and clock internally: http://www.righto.com/2020/08/how-8086-processor-handles-power-and.html
- A joke about the difference between mathematicians and physicists: http://www.thingspondered.xyz/2020/08/excerpt-man-who-loved-only-numbers.html
- Oh Shit, Git?: https://ohshitgit.com/
- ATM Hackers Have Picked Up Some Clever New Tricks: https://www.wired.com/story/atm-hackers-jackpotting-remote-malware/
- Perception of musical pitch varies across cultures (2019): https://news.mit.edu/2019/perception-musical-pitch-cultures-0919
- A guide to Semantic Segmentation: https://nanonets.com/blog/semantic-image-segmentation-2020/
- The machines USPS is removing can sort more than 36,000 pieces of mail per hour: https://www.businessinsider.com/usps-mail-sorting-machines-how-they-work-in-photos-2020-8
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Image credit: @bambicorro
A personal blog on all things of interest. Written by Dennis O'Keeffe, Follow me on Twitter