Weekly Developer Roundup
November 01, 2020
Developer roundup from across the web for the week of 2020-11-01.
Trending This Week On Github
- MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui (Python): A cross platform front-end GUI of the popular youtube-dl written in wxPython.
- sherlock-project/sherlock (Python): 🔎 Hunt down social media accounts by username across social networks
- foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM (Shell): Tools to set up a quick macOS VM in QEMU, accelerated by KVM.
- soimort/you-get (Python): ⏬ Dumb downloader that scrapes the web
- TeamNewPipe/NewPipe (Java): A libre lightweight streaming front-end for Android.
- kangvcar/InfoSpider (Python): INFO-SPIDER 是一个集众多数据源于一身的爬虫工具箱🧰，旨在安全快捷的帮助用户拿回自己的数据，工具代码开源，流程透明。支持数据源包括GitHub、QQ邮箱、网易邮箱、阿里邮箱、新浪邮箱、Hotmail邮箱、Outlook邮箱、京东、淘宝、支付宝、中国移动、中国联通、中国电信、知乎、哔哩哔哩、网易云音乐、QQ好友、QQ群、生成朋友圈相册、浏览器浏览历史、12306、博客园、CSDN博客、开源中国博客、简书。
- sberbank-ai/ru-gpts (Python): Russian GPT3 models.
- commaai/openpilot (C++): openpilot is an open source driver assistance system. openpilot performs the functions of Automated Lane Centering and Adaptive Cruise Control for over 85 supported car makes and models.
- fzaninotto/Faker (PHP): Faker is a PHP library that generates fake data for you
- hollischuang/toBeTopJavaer (Java): To Be Top Javaer - Java工程师成神之路
- PaddlePaddle/PaddleOCR (C++): Awesome multilingual OCR toolkits based on PaddlePaddle （multilingual recognition: English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, German, French etc. 3.5M practical ultra lightweight OCR system, support training and deployment among server, mobile, embedded and IoT devices）
- gao-sun/eul (Swift): 🖥️ macOS status monitoring app written in SwiftUI.
- kubernetes-sigs/aws-load-balancer-controller (Go): A Kubernetes controller for Elastic Load Balancers
- EmbarkStudios/rust-gpu (Rust): 🐉 Making Rust a first-class language and ecosystem for GPU code 🚧
- nlohmann/json (C++): JSON for Modern C++
- tomer8007/widevine-l3-decryptor : A Chrome extension that demonstrates bypassing Widevine L3 DRM
- iawia002/annie (Go): 👾 Fast, simple and clean video downloader
- 3b1b/manim (Python): Animation engine for explanatory math videos
- paritytech/substrate (Rust): Substrate: The platform for blockchain innovators
- google-research/google-research (Jupyter Notebook): Google Research
Trending This Week On Dev.To
- James Starkie: How the browser renders a web page
- Brandon: Want recruiters attention? Build this 🔥 project in ⌚ 5 minutes to 🚀 your portfolio!
- Jane Tracy 👩🏽💻: 15+ Chrome extensions you should have in your pocket.
- Liviu Lupei: 6 Small Projects That Will Boost Your Resume
- Sunil Joshi: How to become a Kickass Web Developer in 2021 [Frontend & Backend Tips]
- Alberto Yanes: 5 tools to keep up with tech
- Ali Spittel: How to Teach Code
- Medhat Dawoud: Gradient borders with curves and 3d movement in CSS (Nextjs ticket clone)
- Alexandru-Dan Pop: Modern Windows 10 development setup
- Suraj Vishwakarma: 5 React-Based Projects Every Beginner Must Try
- Cesar Aguirre: Let’s React. Learn React in 30 days
- Kubdev: 5 Useful VSCode Extension
- Kyle Luke: Designers Take: Free Vector Resources for Devs
- Sunil Aleti: How to Build a Chrome Extension
- nastyox: 1 Step to Incentivize Stars and Forks on GitHub
- Nader Dabit: A First Look at Remix.run
- Tyler Hawkins: I Wish I Never Learned to Code
- Ruheni Alex: Fetch() is All you Need
- Josh Puetz: Listen to the DevNews Podcast, S2E1 — Node v15, Hacktoberfest Controversy, Tech Issues on U.S. Ballots, & More!
- Bence Kotis: Is the pain worth the gain? Writing webapps in C (Benchmarks vs Flask and Nodejs)
- David Igbigbi: Projects to build that would get you hired as a beginner.
- WebDEasy: 25 awesome Loading Animations where you like to wait! ⌛😊
- Madza: Create a Landing page in less than 100 lines (incl. CSS) 🎨🎉
- Orr Gottlieb: Thoughts of a “Senior Developer”
- Olena Drugalya: Planning React app - Core Steps
- Tapas Adhikary: How to log user activities using the Beacon Web API?
- Josh Carvel: How Computers Work (Part 1)
- James Q Quick: The Easiest Way to Add Node.js User Authentication
- Nena: Easily parse an excel spreadsheet into JSON
- Jesse Skinner: Sapper is dead! What’s next in Svelte?
- Skyler Hartle: Going from 0 to 11 with REST APIs on Azure Functions
- Lynne: My Online Portfolio
- gmlunesa: How I developed and deployed my optimized website within a day
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- Nat Slipstreaming: https://samy.pl/slipstream/
- Web based Windows XP desktop recreation, built with React: https://winxp.now.sh/
- First beta release of Alire, the package manager for Ada/SPARK: https://blog.adacore.com/first-beta-release-of-alire-the-package-manager-for-ada-spark
- The story of the PDF: https://www.vice.com/en/article/pam43n/why-the-pdf-is-secretly-the-worlds-most-important-file-format
- Photos from inside a Typhoon class submarine: https://ru-submarine.livejournal.com/17486.html
- A Spectre Is Haunting Unicode: https://www.dampfkraft.com/ghost-characters.html
- Ropes, an Alternative to Strings pdf: http://www.cs.rit.edu/usr/local/pub/jeh/courses/QUARTERS/FP/Labs/CedarRope/rope-paper.pdf
- An Earth-sized rogue planet discovered in the Milky Way: https://phys.org/news/2020-10-earth-sized-rogue-planet-milky.html
- Academic Substack: Open, Free, and Subject to Review: https://jfmcdonald.substack.com/p/academic-substack-open-free-and-subject
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Independence of the Continuum Hypothesis: https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=4974
- BCON20 – Blender Conference: Together Apart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEjmbsiflMU&ab_channel=Blender
- Everything you need to know about windsocks: https://www.hollandaviation.nl/en/windsock-everything-you-need-to-know-about-windsocks/
- AI Camera Ruins Soccer Game After Mistaking Referee’s Bald Head for Ball: https://www.iflscience.com/technology/ai-camera-ruins-soccar-game-for-fans-after-mistaking-referees-bald-head-for-ball
- Inside the stacked RAM modules used in the Apple III: http://www.righto.com/2020/10/inside-stacked-ram-modules-used-in.html
- Programmable Filament Gives Even Simple 3D Printers Multi-Material Capabilities: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/consumer-electronics/gadgets/programmable-filament-gives-even-simple-3d-printers-multimaterial-capabilities
- Goodbye, Native Apps: https://medium.com/the-innovation/goodbye-native-apps-2ffcbd2773e7
- Precomp: Further compress files that are already compressed: https://github.com/schnaader/precomp-cpp
- Tobler’s First Law of Geography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobler%27s_first_law_of_geography
- What does product market fit look for a B2B startup?: https://dayzero.substack.com/p/product-market-fit-for-a-b2b-company
- Fact Checks and Context for Wayback Machine Pages: http://blog.archive.org/2020/10/30/fact-checks-and-context-for-wayback-machine-pages/
- Metal Spheres Swarm Together to Create Freeform Modular Robots: https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/robotics-hardware/freebots-spheres-swarm-robots
- Body Language and Machine Learning: https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2020/10/25/body-language-and-machine-learning/
- Jailbreaking Used Teslas: https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3mb3w/people-are-jailbreaking-used-teslas-to-get-the-features-they-expect
- Dieter Rams: ten principles for good design: https://www.vitsoe.com/gb/about/good-design
- Homicide victim found in burnt-out SUV ID’d as man behind spam-email empire: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/davis-wolfgang-hawke-missing-dead-1.5782107
- China’s Draft ‘Personal Information Protection Law’ (Full Translation): https://www.newamerica.org/cybersecurity-initiative/digichina/blog/chinas-draft-personal-information-protection-law-full-translation/
- Yet another alternative to floating-point numbers: https://wordsandbuttons.online/yet_another_alternative_to_floating_point_numbers.html
- Apple is warning Mac users that Amazon Music app and HP drivers are malware: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/23/some-mac-users-being-warned-that-amazon-music-app-and-hp-drivers-are-malware
- Show HN: Web scraping that just works with OpenFaaS with Puppeteer: https://www.openfaas.com/blog/puppeteer-scraping/
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Image credit: @bambicorro
A personal blog on all things of interest. Written by Dennis O'Keeffe, Follow me on Twitter